Sophia Beckett Velez
Professor and Senior Researcher
MBA Finance (Fordham), PhD (WaldenU)
Sophia Beckett Velez, PhD. is a researcher, author, and founder of Idiosyncratic Viral Loss Theory. She holds a Ph.D. in Management from Walden University and a MBA in Finance from Fordham University USA and was a Full-bright Scholar 2019-2020. In 2020, she published Banking and Effective Capital Regulation In Practice: A leadership Perspective, followed by Operational Risk Management in Banks and Idiosyncratic Viral Loss Theory: A Leadership Perspective in 2022. For over 16 years as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), she has worked with large banks providing consulting services to address regulatory compliance problems, magnified subsequent to the 2008 recession.
Banking and Capital Regulation, Operational Risk Management, Idiosyncratic Losses, Effective leadership Systemic Risk.
- Walden University, USA (waldenu.edu): Doctor of Philosophy, 2020
- Full-bright Scholar 2019-2020
- National Association of Leadership and Success (Sigma Alpha Pi Society) 2019-2020
- Fordham University, NYC / USA (fordham.edu): MBA in Finance, 2005
- Velez, Sophia Beckett (2021). Idiosyncratic Viral Loss Theory: Systemic Operational Losses in Banks. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 14(2), 82. https://doi.org/ 10.3390/jrfm14020082
- Velez, S., Neubert, M., & Halkias, D. (2020). Banking Finance Experts Consensus on Compliance in US Bank Holding Companies: An e-Delphi Study. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 13(2), 28. https://doi.org/10.3390/jrfm13020028
- Velez, S. B. (2022). Operational Risk Management in Banks and Idiosyncratic Loss Theory: A Leadership Perspective. Emerald Group Publishing.
- Velez, S. (2020). Banking and Effective Capital Regulation in Practice: A Leadership Perspective. Routledge.
- Various modules in the DBA / PhD programs
- Dissertation advisor